Tayah’s science project took 3rd at Woodrow Wallace Middle school. This qualified her to the county science fair. We were both excited and a bit leery because we heard it was boring and an all day event.
She was excited and really wanted to win but understood that there was many projects, 650 from 4-8 grade, for the judges to choose from. The fair started with a few actors from the CSI Las Vegas tv show. They spoke for about an hour and were very interesting. After that Tayah had to sit by her project for 2 hours waiting for the judges to come by and ask her about her project. She said she was a little scared so she said a little prayer. Can I tell you that having to spend all day there was well worth it just to hear her tell me that she said a prayer. I know that may seem silly, but for a mom to hear that her child understands and believes in the power of prayer (and to actually use it for something other than our normal prayers) was heavenly. That all we are doing at home is helping my child to become a good person.
Tayah was interviewed by 4 judges. Tayah said it got easier and easier to talk to them. We had a two hour lunch and went to John’s Incredible Pizza. We went with 3 other kids from Wallace, Scott Alten (teacher, friend) and one father. The kids had a great time and I enjoyed catching up with Scott. We went back to the fair for the awards.
I really think Tayah was hoping to win but was trying to talk herself out of it. They separated the projects into 8 groups. We were excited because other kids from the valley were winning too. We had a first, second and third place winners.
Finally about the 7th group we heard the announcer say for Honorable Mention “Tayah Bushling.” I looked at her and said, “that’s you!” She was so nervous while on the stage that she only looked at me. I was very excited for her and she was so excited to win.
As much as I despise science projects I was happy for her and we really enjoyed our time together.
Comments