I agreed to be in this play at my church with the stipulations of not singing alone. They said that would be fine and had me sing a duet with my friend Karrie Bunting. I was so glad for that but I then found out I have to sing part of the song alone. I still, (don't ask me why) said ok and started to learn my song. My daughter Tayah was Karrie's understudy and she was singing with me. I even had Leslie help me with the song to make sure I didn't sound terribly awful. Today was my first practice singing in front of everyone in the play. I felt ok about it until we started to get close to my part. It wasn't until then that I could feel my heart beating so hard and fast I was sure Dani who was sitting behind me could hear it. When it was my turn to sing I stood up and my arms were shaking, my voice was shaking and my knees were knocking. I had to lock my knees to get them to stop somewhat from shaking. I swear I was making the whole stage shake. I thought I had done some hard things in my life like: standing up to the heart surgeon at UCLA, having 5 babies, or rowing a boat down the Grand Canyon but NO not really. None of those things were as hard or scary for me as it was to sing today. It was only PRACTICE! I hopeful will be able to control some of the shakes by our performance time in March.
Comments
And, I'll add that my eyes were shaking. If they weren't, then they were twitching while trying to find a place to look that wouldn't make eye-contact with anyone. If I don't faint, it will be a miracle- even yesterday the back of my neck got all hot and stiff and weird. I do have a cold now, and my voice is all funky as of last night, so maybe that had something to do with it. But I don't think so. AND it's hard to "act". It's so not me- I feel like such an idiot. So, I either feel like a dork trying to act, or look like a dork for not acting. Tough call.
We'll just keep practicing, and I'm hoping that the fainting feeling and shaking and knocking will go away. And then we'll ask somebody for some Vallium. It may be the only way...