Let the fall sports begin!

It's that time again, school starting, summer ending and fall sports begins. Zach is on the sophomore football team and doing great. He was very nervous to move up to the sophomore team because he thought all the boys would be bigger than him. We had to remind him that he is bigger than last year and the really big kids had to move up just like he did. After the first week of practice he seem to have settled down about it.
Zach loves kicking the ball and he does really good at it. He was able to kick the ball twice during this game against Cal. City. We won 7-6 with Zach running a 60 yd touchdown in the 4th quarter with 3:50 left in the game. It was a tough good game.

With it being 97 degrees and playing our game at 3 in the afternoon I wasn't sure I would see Tayah with a smile. She was able to pull it off and did a great job. She is cheering for the sophomore team which is cool because she gets to cheer for her brother, Zach. There is a lot of drama on her cheer squad but I have been really proud of her because she hasn't gotten into it. Her coach has already quit and it is only the 2nd game of the year. I hope things will be better for her this year because she has had some strange years the past few years. Thankfully Tayah stays clear of that.

Trey was ready for soccer again. He wanted to play football but I said no, your to young. Well, this year we heard a lot of yip yap from the other parents letting their kids, Trey's age, play football. They kept telling me to let Trey play, let him have a chance. I asked Trey twice and he said no both times. I felt like a good parent letting him have the choice and felt even better that he said no. Trey was the honorary Sophomore football team coach assigned by Cassie Harbuck and he was ok with that. We came home after the 3rd day of practice and Zach let Trey try on his shoulder pads. They went in the back yard and practice a few plays. Trey, to my dismay, came running in telling me that he wants to play football now. WHAT!!!! He said that Zach showed him some moves and now he knows how to play football so he wants to try it.

Well, we gave in and let him try it. I kept thinking that, this is the kid who doesn't like to walk to far, always wants to ride on Jayda's stroller. Tells us his legs and feet hurt when we are shopping. There was no way he was going to make it through those first few very hard weeks. I wasn't sure what to do because he was so excited and he kept saying mom, you said I could try it. I was thinking he would give up after running a few laps, the hot weather, and working hard and because his coach was a Nazi. After a water break I asked him how it was going and he said good, no GREAT!!! That was the end of that and he has loved football ever sense. Anytime you ask him how he is doing he always says GREAT. He is always in the front of the pack when they run, he goes for the bigger kids when they are playing the tackling game. He has surprised us all with his ability to not give up, work hard and playing good. He is a great tackler and is learning more and more everyday. If you ask him, he is the fastest runner, the best catcher and the hardest tackler. We laugh and try very hard to keep his head normal size. This is his first game against Trona. He played most of the time and was even able to run the ball. He didn't gain any yards but was excited to do it. On the way home he asked me if I saw him on the sidelines. I had. He said, he was glad he got to take a break and rest. I laughed at how serious he was while telling me how he really needed it. He is doing so good and I am looking forward to watch him grow and learn.

Comments

Grammy said…
Yip Yap?!?! Okay yeah maybe, but only because I was sure you would never give in!