Myth or Legend? PigBear

Tonight we were down at our KRT camp with Zach's baseball team. After havng dinner, cake and ice cream and a fire show, Kenny played a picnic game with the boys. He then started to tell the boys a story about a "PigBear". This is how is goes:

It just so happens that in our little ravine there use to be bears and pigs that roamed wild. Well, by just some freakish incident a bear got pregnant by a pig (I thought oh my is he going to talk about the birds and bees now). Now they had a few babies and they run wild sometimes around here at night but we don't usually hear them. Meanwhile we are hearing some weird noises. One boy asked what the sound was and then another boy chimed in and said yea what is that sound. Kenny told them that the sound was the pigbear looking for a mate and was getting mad. He told the boys to be quiet and turn their light off because it might draw attention to us. One boy said I am scared and another said yeah, me too. Then it snowballed from there and they all started to huddle together. The sound was getting louder and louder. Kenny said what ever you do don't be alone. The boys scattered to get their parents and if they didn't have one they went to the baseball coach. The sound is getting louder and longer. Tayah comes running to me crying, shaking telling me she is scared and wants to come home. I am trying not to laugh so hard and ruin the great story. Kenny said it might be best if we all get into a big group until the PigBear goes away. I have never seen a group of 22 people group up so quickly. One boy said he was going to pee his pants, another one said he had tears in his eyes, a dad or two were a little nervous, another boy said they are just trying to scare us and it's working. Tayah is crying her eyes out so I pull her over and explain the sound and she is ok until she hears it again. I finally tell Kenny Tayah is having a melt down and he felt so bad that he said he would go get the PigBear. While he is gone I am trying to not let my hysterical laughter ruin it to much. The noise is getting louder and louder and the boys think it is fake but can't quite decide if they are brave enough to leave the huddle. Tayah can't help her emotions now and doesn't want to be in the front of the group or the back where i was. She wanted to be right in the middle of the group. She ditched me and left for the middle. I am almost hysterically laughing and can't believe that noone is leaving the group and laughing about it. There was a few he he ha ha's but with a very nervous tone. We all sat in this group for a good 10 min waiting for Kenny. Tayah decided then that she wasn't sleeping down at camp anymore and she was coming home with me. Kenny finally comes out with the rest of the river guides and shows the pigbear off. It is a #10 can with some webbing tied to the end. You wet the webbing, grab it and run your fingers down the rope and it echos into the rope. The boys all started to laugh and they were all relieved and glad that they can sleep under the stars again. I am going to bet that even thought they know the truth about PigBears they are going to have a few scary times tonight - great story Kenny, Love it!! Yes, Tayah came home with me to sleep - he he he he!!!!

Comments

Grammy said…
Even knowing the story was just a story I would have been really scared! I can still remember the scary monster story one of the leaders told at girls camp when I was 15. Poor Tayah!
kathy said…
How funny!! That Kenny he got them going didn't he!