Cinco De Mayo

It was my birthday today and I turned.....37. Man, saying that is hard, because it is getting closer and closer to the 40 mark. My eye sight is getting worse, I am getting more wrinkles and gray hair, I have bulges where they shouldn't be and not enough bulge in places they need to be. I had an average ordinary day with a few perks. I went for a great walk with Michelle and Cori, swept and mopped my floors, did 5 loads of laundry, had a Primary Presidency meeting, ran errands, went out to El Portal for dinner, went to Tayah's softball practice and then did the night time routine. After school my kids went outside and told me they need to be out there alone because they needed to plan something. They later came in and Zach asked if I was happy. At first I didn't know if this was a trick question or not. I said yes and he said are you sure? I said yes and then all three of then sang Happy Birthday to me. Tayah was so proud because it was her idea to sing to me and it was Zach's idea to ask if I was happy because it was leading into their song. I loved it because they thought of it all on their own. Some other perks were, exercising, cupcakes from Krissy, and a Diet Pepsi for dinner, and lots of phone calls and facebook messages wishing me a Happy Birthday. I am going to get a pedicure and lunch with Michelle later this week and a movie and a couple more lunches with Kari and Teasha. You would think I like to eat a lot or something - I do!!

This is the most recent picture of me. It was taken at Easter only a few weeks ago. A few things about me: I love Diet Pepsi, hot tamales, pumpkin seeds, baked goods, and really good chocolate like truffles and Milka bars. I love Mexican food, there is nothing like chips and salsa. I love Chillies "Best chips in the world" chips. I love Jake's, chocolate cake, Outbacks food, oh my the list could go on and on. I do like food, especially food I don't have to fix. I like to read, especially books that help me be a better person. Right now I am ready three: How to raise confident girls, The power of a positive mom and 19 minutes (not a self help book but very interesting). I love to exercise, because it always makes me feel good afterward. I love going to the movies or watching movies. I would love to be on the Amazing Race (maybe, I don't know if I could eat weird stuff). I LOVE watching all my kids participate in sports, dance, cheer, scouts anything. I truly hate missing anything that they are involved in. It gets me into trouble sometimes running so much but I hate to miss anything even their practices. I am the Primary President in my church and it is very overwhelming sometimes and I feel so incompetent. My saving grace is the people who are in the presidency with me. They make my calling easy and manageable. I am active in PTC for my kids school. I was in charge of the book fair and it took a lot more time than expected but I felt good helping their school. I sang my first and last duet/solo this year. I did enjoy it (Don't tell Ed Bernstein) but it is one of those things that I can check off my bucket list. You know, been there done that. I ran a 5K this year (sort of). Pushed the stroller and walked mostly but I liked it. I would like to do another one where strollers aren't involved but one that I can walk/jog in. I think I have obsessive compulsive disorder. There are things I want to try but I'm afraid of failure. I get after my kids to much and wish I had more patience. I love to travel, I love fresh cut flowers, I love the smell of fresh cut grass, I love rain storms, I love to hear my kids laugh, I love it when my husband makes me laugh, I love to be around friends. I wish I lived closer to my family, I miss them, especially when one of them needs help. It was a great day and I am looking forward to a great year. Things I want to do this year of being 37: be more patient, try something new, keep in touch with family and friends better, get more spiritual and just enjoy the little things in life.

Comments

Karrie said…
You are 37? Holy crap, that's old!!!!

I thought you were turning 36... like that makes a big difference.

I like to interview the old ladies I know and ask them "If you could be any age again, what would you pick?" (hey- I didn't ask you- that means you are not old yet). None of them pick a 30 something. They range from 50- "because your kids are grown, you have more time, and you get to see grandbabies born." And something about being more patient. And then another one said "72" (she was turning 92 when I asked her this). That's the year she went on a mission. So hey, life doesn't end as you age. Life looking like a teenager ends, but most women get more confident and happy. I don't have to worry about all this though, because I'm only going to be 27 next month... :) I am so full of it sometimes!
BushlingX7 said…
Karrie,you are such a baby. You have a lot of growing up to do :->. And holy crap, you have 4 children and you are only going to be 27 your crazy!!
Grammy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grammy said…
I deleted my comment because I was typing too fast and I misspelled a few things, and that drives me nuts. So what I said was...
I am a big jerk, I didn't know it was your birthday. You are supposed to say "HEY IT'S MY BIRTHDAY" to everyone you see on your day. I'm glad you enjoyed the day, your kids are so sweet. Did you drink Diet Pepsi at dinner???

Did you notice Karrie's use of the words "More Confident and Happy"? I think those words are burned into my subconscious, I even dream them sometimes still. Wierd, it wasn't even my song.
The Hogue's said…
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday Dear Marci,
Happy Birthday to you!

That's as close as I get to singing a solo, and I really did sing it. I had to to remember the way it goes.