Bike Riding

I wanted to get the kids out of the house today so we could burn some of their bottled up energy. We decided to go on a bike ride. Sounds like a great idea don't you think! Riding our bikes, getting fresh air, having some good ole family fun. Having 3 kids riding their bikes around town with no side walks and all of them looking behind them for cars while they swerve in the middle of the road trying to strain and look around their helmets. Riding so close together that they almost crashed 10 times just riding down our street. Wanting to be the first in line even though they don't know where they are going. Crossing the boulevard with all of them. While I have to stop and fix helmets, watch for cars, yell directions to those far ahead and try and balance Kenny's bike with Jayda riding on the back. It is a nice enjoyable time for all of us. I really do enjoy going on bike rides most of the time. We went and rode our bikes to Grandma and Grandpa Bushling's house. Jayda enjoyed the ride so much she took a nap. We visited them for a bit and then headed for our favorite place the jumps. It is in the empty field across from Kissack Ball Park.
The kids love it because there is big steep trails with jumps or small rolly whoopdy-doos. The boys of course loved the jumps and steep trails. I wish I had a video camera of Trey going down the steep trail because his little legs were going so dang fast trying to pedal his bike. Tayah and I loved the rolly whoopdy-doos trails.

I wish you could see Trey's face in this picture. It was his first time going down the big trail and jump. He had a great time and rode his bike back up the steep trail 3 times just to do the jump.

Zach had a good time going over the jump. He was the one who got Trey to try it. Trey is getting older now and is able to do some of the things Zach is doing and they are having a good time with each other.
We rode down a secret trail Trey showed us and we ended up where the flood had washed in. There was dried cracked mud all over the field. The kids were checking out the cracks and hammering sticks into the cracks. It was reminding me of the time we traveled the country and the kids actually had to play together, using their imaginations. It was fun to watch and I was glad we did come on the bike ride even if I got hit in the head by someones handle bars when they rode by me while I was checking my tire. I guess I need to wear one of those annoying helmet too.

They came across a couple of spots that looked like forts. They worked hard trying to get them fixed up and ready for a dirt clod fight. The boys didn't take long to put together their fort and they were ready for the fight. I was on Tayah's side and I had to old off the boys by defending the girls fort. The fun part was they couldn't throw any dirt at me because Jayda was by me. I might have hit Trey on the head by accident. They threw them at Tayah but never hit her. She was working the whole time trying to get her fort just right. She is such a perfectionist. I don't even think she ever joined the game. We were all having a good time throwing the dirt and trying to hit them with sticks when someone noticed 2 dogs coming our way.
They were big scary dogs. I think they had collars on but I didn't take the time to read them. One was in the front and clearly looked like he knew what he was after. They were getting closer and closer and it seemed like they were going to surround us. The leader was trying to get on the other side of us it seemed. I told the kids to walk to the bikes slowly but steady. I grabbed a big stick just in case I needed it. I decided that the bikes might make the dogs more excited watching the wheels go and I didn't have time to put Jayda back into her seat because they were getting closer fast. We decided to walk to the nearest house. I called Kenny and told him to come get us NOW!! The dogs where sniffing our fort and then moved up to the bikes. We were about 20 yards away and I was hoping that I didn't have to fight the dogs. What would happen if one attacked me and the other went after my kids? We made it to the house and Kenny was right there. The dogs thankfully went away. Tayah was afraid the dogs would get her bike, Zach was holding on the Jayda for dear life and Trey seemed oblivious to the whole thing.
Our knight in shining armor took us back to the bikes. The dogs were gone and we rode home. The kids had a great time and I think Jayda and Trey won the prize for the most dirtiest kid.


I am not sure if they were eating the dirt or not because they all had a ring around their mouths and of course with the wind their noses ran which was a great dirt magnet.

We had a great time even with the scary dogs. I later told the kids if a dog started to attack us I would get the dog, Tayah is to take Jayda and the kids run for help. If I needed help Zach would help me with the other dog. Our brave boy Trey said he would fight if there was 3 dogs and if there was 4 dogs he said Tayah would have to fight and Jayda would have to go for help. Thankfully Jayda knows the sign for help.

Comments

The Queen Bee said…
You guys really need a bike trail!
Michelle said…
Now I'm envisioning Jayda running for help while the rest of you fight off dogs. Thankfully, it didn't come down to that but I have to say the thought is making me laugh. Sorry we missed out on all the fun. Don't think my kids didn't keep reminding me all day long.....ALI!! I made Dave feel guilty last night for not getting Spencer's tire fixed....I think he's gonna come home and do it today. So, we should be ready for the next bike ride! I'll bring my pepper spray......
Dany said…
We had so much fun riding the bikes in San Francisco, who knew exercise would be fun??? But I was scared to death and were popping xanax like pez watching Trever weave in and out of traffic following his daddy!!! And not to mention trying to climb on the rail of the Golden Gate bridge to get a good look over the edge. I want to bike at home. Oh, and yo need to carry pepper spray, for the dogs, not the kids!!!