Ouchy toe!

Last night Trey was going to fast on the elliptical and fell off. He didn't have any shoes on and said he hurt his big toe. There wasn't any scratches, blood or bruising. He wasn't crying just complaining about it. We told him that it looks ok and he'll be fine. Someone, Michelle, asked Trey if she should cut his big toe off so a new one will grow back. Trey gave her a funny look and said NO! Grandpa even asked him if he was ok but Trey just ran off and played. By bedtime he was walking on the outside of his foot but not really complaining. In the morning the first thing that he said was that his toe hurt. His toe had swollen up front and back but no bruising. We couldn't even touch it or he would complain. Thankfully we have a wonderful friend Dr. Holly Spohn-Gross who saw Trey and got him an x-ray. We all thought he might have just sprained his big toe but the x-ray's showed differently.


He had a compact fracture of the 1st metatarsal (growth plate). I guess we underestimated his pain tolerance. He wasn't to happy to get a cast on and decided to get black because he didn't want anyone to be able to sign it. I tried all day to get him to let me sign it. I used different things on the bottom of the cast to see if they would show up. I used bright permanent markers, white out and a white crayon. Nothing lasted and Trey was glad. He was even happier to find out that he got to miss the rest of the day of school and the next day also. I am letting him stay home instead of suffering by watching his class mates during their reward day. For the reward they get to jump in a jump house. I don't think Trey could participate in that one.



Trey's friend Spencer brought Trey a get well balloon, a puzzle and skittles. Spencer said it was his mom's idea. Feeling guilty Michelle? Spencer and Ali wanted to sign the cast but Trey flat out said NO. Maybe in a few days he will see the boyish reasons to be excited to have a cast. He has to have it on for 3 weeks and then we get it checked and see if he has to have another cast on for another 3 weeks. The fun never stops!!

Comments

Michelle said…
Can't a person just be nice without false motives being assumed?! LOL I forgot to tell you that when we got home from your house yesterday, Spencer said, "I can't believe Trey broke his toe. It makes me want to give him all my toys from my house." What a sweet boy! However, notice he said WANT and did not start packing anything away! Well, it's the thought that counts, right? Heal quickly Trey! (Or not...we all want to see the glow in the dark cast next!)J/K
Ouch! I always have nightmares about hurting myself on the elliptical machines! Sorry you have to deal with a cast! That's so funny that he doesn't want people to sign it. Trey is such a cute kid. Get better soon!!
Dany said…
Ok Marci I have given you chance after chance. How many chances do you need before I call CPS, who lets their kids play on excersise equiptment BAREFOOT??? I worry about the fate of your poor children, next post will be how Trey's cast "mysteriously" broke and came off... or poor Jayda found alone in the street, or Tayah's braids being pulled out, or Zach being choked by a very sweet girl that HE calls Samantha... Marci I am going to suggest parenting classes!! LOL
Ellis Family said…
Ouch Trey. We hope your toe will be feeling better soon!! It is so cool to have a black cast.
palacios5 said…
That picture of Trey is so cute. I can't believe how little his cast looks on his leg. I also can't believe he doesn't want anyone to sign it.
bkellis said…
Trey takes after his Grandpa Ellis who has a very high tollerance for pain. Sorry I didn't know until you called but this week has been a crazy one for me. Love to all,
Mom Ellis