Kenny and the John Muir Trail

If you all remember in September Kenny hiked a portion of the John Muir Trail. He started in Yosemite and ended in Mammoth. He hiked 60 miles in 4 days and had a fabulous time. I was helping him pack what little he was taking and came to the conclusion that I wouldn't be able to backpack the way he was. I would need more things like more than 2 pairs of socks, deodorant, a pillow and a tent. I am not sure if I could sleep in the wide open space with varmints, bears, and bugs around. Kenny thought he did an awesome job hiking with the youngsters. He said they were impressed with him being 40 and that they were much more sore then he was. I am not sure they pounded the ibuprofen like he did, but he made it with out any mishaps.
Only the 3 guys on the left went Hiking. James Boster, Kenny, and Brandon Sweet. This is the beginning of the hike at Yosemite Valley.
This is half dome.
This is the start of the trail. Kenny took a ski pole as his hiking stick. And fell in love with it and will never hike without one. My comment was "Then why don't you marry it because you know in California that could be possible."
At lunch one day they saw a snake that had just caught a fish. They thought it was so cool to watch the snake eat this big fish.
This was pit stop at Cathedral Lake.
Kenny tried his had at fly fishing. He said he had a great time and would love to do it again. They didn't eat anything the caught because....
This fish was one of the big ones. ha ha
This is a valley that they hiked through. The river below is were they fly fished.
This was the third day of their hike. They were all doing good and their stiff bodies were getting use to the back pack and hiking. They saw many older couples doing this hike. The older people were very impressive because the hike was pretty demanding. These people however didn't do it as fast as the boys did so they could endure the hike.
This is called Thousand Island Lake with Banner Peak in the back. This was one of Kenny's favorite spots on the hike. The lake is crystal clear and is almost mirror like.
Their last night out they camped by the lake. They met some people who camped at this spot the night before but moved. The reason being they were scared. They told the boys that a couple of bears had came in the night before and ransacked their camp. So instead of finding a new spot to camp they kept the fire going all night long. Anyone who got up in the night had to put a log on the fire to keep it burning so the bears would stay away. You see why I couldn't do this hike!!!
This is Devils Post Pile made out of volcanic rock. The rock brakes off in a perfect octagon shape. It was towards the end of their hike near Mammoth Mountain.
This is the end of their hike at Reds Meadow. Here they found out the bus wasn't running to take them the 12 miles to Mammoth. They decided they were done hiking on foot and hitch hiked instead. Luckily they got picked up right away by some nice people who just moved to Ridgecrest. Kenny said he really enjoyed the hike and wants to do it again only longer next time.

Comments

Dany said…
I am impressed, 60 miles is a lot of miles, I don't like to drive that far.
This hike sounds really . . . fun?!!!!! I would love to go on a hike like that, but I'd need hotels to stop at along the way.