When I was picking my kids up after school one day, my kids teacher asked me, "What part of the day is the hardest for you?" I am not sure what made her ask the question? Was it because Jayda was crying (surprising) in my arms, Trey running wildly around the school's lawn and through the trees with Zach chasing him and throwing a Gatorade lid at him or was it Tayah holding onto a poll spinning around in circles getting sick and screaming? My response was right after school dealing with HOMEWORK!!! Homework should be a four letter word. I get home around 2:20 and I am still doing homework with my kids at 4:30. When we are frustrated and completly through with each other, I try and tell my kids that I'm not the bad guy giving them homework and how much I don't like it either. I suppose I could just let my kids read to themselves and do their packet alone but then my perfectionist personality couldn't try and control them or the way their packet looks.

Recently, I think all the hair pulling, pillow screaming, and lots of chocolate (this is out thanks to Jayda) and Diet Pepsi has really paid off. Tayah got straight O's on her report card and has gotten 100% on her homework all year long. Zach recently had a story he made up printed in the newspaper. Believe it or not it, it was probably the best story printed. This is a mile stone for Zach because reading and writing are not his best subjects by a long shot.

It makes me so proud to hear my kids teachers tell me how wonderful my kids are and how much they really like them. Then I stop and wonder if they are sure they are talking about my kids because it doesn't fit the description of the children I'm taking home. Maybe, homework isn't so bad after all .
Comments